Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

May's Pretty Cool I Guess

How did the world manage to pack so much awesome into May this year? We're a couple days in now and plenty of cool stuff has happened.

May 1 - Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. I have a strange fascination with 80s movie style. The over-the-top action, the silly dialogue, the synth-filled music. There's so much to love. That's when movies could exist just for the hell of it. Blood Dragon takes this style hilariously. This is what I wanted Duke Nukem: Forever to be.

Normally I'd come up with some sort of witty caption.
This needs none.
May 3 - Iron Man 3. I haven't seen it yet, but I love Marvel movies. Avengers is sitting at one of my favorite movies of all time, so I'm super excited to see some of the Extremis storyline show up on the silver screen.

I've always been a little jealous that RDJ gets a badass
suit and Gwyneth Paltrow.
May 7 - Justice releases Access All Arenas. Okay, this one's a technicality. They released it on Spotify on the first. But this is the official release. I saw this concert live at the Tabernacle in Atlanta and it's hard to describe it as anything but a religious experience. Justice knows how to put on a show. The album isn't nearly as good as being there, but it still brings back fond memories (of tinnitus and secondhand marijuana smoke.)

Except Gaspard had a full beard. Dude was Jesus.
May 8 - My birthday! I guess that's pretty cool, despite having three finals. I'll officially be 1/4 through my life. Hooray?



May 14 - Metro: Last Light. I haven't finished Metro 2033 yet, but I'm a big fan. It's one of the scariest games I've ever played. I'd never felt pure adrenaline and survival instinct while playing a video game before playing this. I'd say it beats S.T.A.L.K.E.R. out for the spot of my favorite Russian post-apocalyptic survival game. Unfortunate, I guess, seeing as these are probably the only two games that fit into that category. But I love the genre.

No big deal.
May 16 - Star Trek: Into Darkness. I'll admit, I'm not a huge Trekkie. Never got into the show or the original movies. I've seen a decent amount, but haven't gotten myself to really get hooked. I loved the 2009 Star Trek though. It was eye candy. It had the perfect balance of humor and drama. It was just fun. I'm super excited for the sequel.

I Googled "Star Trek: Into Darkness" planning on using
a cool action shot or something. I changed my mind.
May 21 - Daft Punk releases Random Access Memories. Just... WHEEEEEEEE!

Just as exciting as the previous picture.
Well, in a different way.
Well, maybe the same way.
I know I'm forgetting things, but man is it going to be a cool month.

2 comments:

  1. If I comment here, does it count toward my allowed limit of comments on your facebook posts?

    - "...but it still brings back fond memories (of tinnitus and secondhand marijuana smoke." And probably fond memories (which you will tell your children, no embellishments required) of a Greyhound bus ride home.

    - "My birthday! I guess that's pretty cool." Yes, yes it is. But could you please stop pointing out your advancing age out of respect for the elderly in the room?

    - "I have a strange fascination with 80s movie style" and "I'm not a huge Trekkie. Never got into the show or the original movies."

    Oh son of mine, where did I fail you? If you're fascinated with the 80s movies, you, at the very least, need to honor ST:TOS by watching all the ST:TOS movies, which were released in '79, '82, '84, '86, '89, and '91. They're chock full of 80s acting, cinematography, music, etc. and you'll get a little taste of TOS.

    Classic lines:

    "Khaaaaaaaaannn!"

    Spock: "Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh..."
    Kirk: "...the needs of the few..."

    "I have been and always shall be your friend." (If you don't cry at this one, something's wrong with you.)

    "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!" (Okay, yeah, that's from Moby Dick, but nobody delivers it like Ricardo Montalbán as Khan.)

    Then you just need to watch the entire ST:TNG series (if only to count how many times Riker "strikes his [80s style] pose"). And then the movies. Oh, and ST:Voyager was worth watching top to bottom on Netflix.

    But someday ... someday ... you really need to watch ST:TOS from the beginning. Even though it was a short-run series, it was truly the turning point in Sci-Fi TV and movies. When you realize there are specials on educational channels comparing the technology in Star Trek to what we use every day NOW (and what some scientists and inventors are currently trying to develop), you'll discover how that little series has become so important in pop culture and even, to some extent, race relations. (The first interracial kiss on TV! Lt. Uhura as an officer. And just having various "races" and "species" working side by side as equals.) I want to live in a Roddenberry world.

    Enjoy your Awesome May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is longer than the entry itself. Oh dear.

      Delete