Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Future

I haven't quite nailed down what I'm going to do with this blog. It's my personal blog, so it'll probably just be whatever I want to post whenever I want to post it. You may or may not know about www.videogamedustoff.com, my old games review blog. That'll be more focused. But for this one, I'll just share my thoughts.

One thing I definitely want to do, though, is start a list of Important Games. I'll be adding to this list over time. I don't have any specific criteria for adding games, but I'll try to explain whenever I do add one. There's also no particular order. It's just whatever comes to mind.

The first I'm going to add is Spec Ops: The Line. It's based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Never before has a game taken my expectations of it in play and completely flipped it upside down. It's a satire on the modern shooter genre in the darkest sense possible. It portrays itself as another typical, boring shooter and over time, through the illusion of choice, makes you feel bad about playing it. That's all I can say about it without spoiling too much. It's a game I think everyone needs to play.

The next I'm going to mention is pretty undisputed among the gaming community. Portal, the mind-bending first-person puzzle game by Valve, uses a dark sense of humor and interesting new gameplay techniques to breathe some fresh air into gaming.

And finally, Minecraft is going on this list. Now, I'm no longer a very big fan of Minecraft - the additions to the game since I last played have overwhelmed me to the point that I can't really return to it. But I sure played it a lot in its early days. Minecraft showed the world that indie games are relevant and can achieve mainstream success. Its simple, blocky aesthetic required little budget and was originally developed by a single man. That man is now a millionaire. Now we're seeing indie games popping up all over the place, even showing up in multiple Indie Bundles. Minecraft blazed the way for this progress and I can't be more thankful for that.

I'll add more to this list as I think of them, but that's all I've got for now. I'm actually about to play Antichamber, which came out today. Looks like it's going to be pretty exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment